AN OFFER FROM A GENTLEMAN

 

 

 

Sophie Beckett never dreamed she’d be able to sneak into Lady Bridgerton’s famed masquerade ball—or that “Prince Charming” would be waiting there for her! Though the daughter of an earl, Sophie has been relegated to the role of servant by her disdainful stepmother. But now, spinning in the strong arms of the debonair and devastatingly handsome Benedict Bridgerton, she feels like royalty. Alas, she knows all enchantments must end when the clock strikes midnight.

Ever since that magical night, a radiant vision in silver has blinded Benedict to the attractions of any other—except, perhaps this alluring and oddly familiar beauty dressed in housemaid’s garb whom he feels compelled to rescue from a most disagreeable situation. He has sworn to find and wed his mystery miss, but this breathtaking maid makes him weak with wanting her. Yet, if he offers his heart, will Benedict sacrifice his only chance for a fairy tale love?

 

 

 

QUICK INSIGHT

 

Author: Julia Quinn

Genre: Historical Romance

Traditional or Self-Pub: Traditional 

Pages: 390

Cover art: 3/5

Cover by: N/A

Overall Reading Experience: 4/5

First 5 Chapters: We are introduced to Sophie Beckett, in a Cinderella style story. She’s a bastard child, casted away by her step mother and step-sisters, forced to be a maid, after her father long passed away. But in comes a night where Sophie gets whisked into a gown by the other servants. And lucky for her it’s a masquerade, so no one knows her identity but she so desperately wants to reveal herself to young Mr. Benedict Bridgerton. But it does not matter what she wants because she is a servant and she could never have a life with him… Or so she thinks. 

Reasons to keep reading: Secret Identities. Masquerade balls. Cinderella Trope. 

Get it Here: An Offer From A Gentleman

 

WRITING!

 

Ah! Once again Julia Quinn did it again.

I swear as I read book after book, every story gets better. I thought nothing could top “The Viscount Who Love Me” but surely I was wrong. An Offer From A Gentlemen was an even better read.  

I am such a weakling when it comes to secret identity romances, Clark Kent and Lois Lane (smallville Lois and Clark) still hold very high standards for me. But Sophie Beckett isn’t a hero, she’s just a girl who wants a family who loves her and one special night. And having her identity hidden is a pain-stakingly choice she made, especially when she meets the esteemed Benedict Bridgerton.

I did have a couple problems with possibly two particular scenes. One where Sophie gets caught in a group of drunk men and almost raped. There was no warning to this, and I particularly don’t like reading these types of scenes, so I did skim quickly on by.

Another Scene is where Benedict begged Sophie to be his mistress, not taking into consideration how that would make her feel. And how that would cast her further away from society, being a maid turned into a mistress. But he did not take no for an answer. I get it. He loved her and this was the only correct path that these two could take in that society. But damn society. Who gives a flying crap what they think?

Granted I have not had the pleasure of being born in this era, but I can see the social pressure and downfall of their being together. 

 

 

HOT or NOT?

 

Dear reader, this Author truly burns for secret garden kisses. Why are those the best? Because they are wide to the public eye? At any moment they surely could be caught, but their desire runs deeper than fretting over being seen. 

I enjoyed this read because this was first time a Bridgerton wasn’t haunted by something in his past, which was getting a bit redundant. Although I did feel for him as he was always referred to as ‘the second’ by the public. It wasn’t his fault he was overshadowed by his brothers, but not only that they could never tell them apart, even though he was the tallest of the bunch. One could remember that, right? 

Sophie did and she has never met the poor Bridgerton fella before the masquerade. She only ever read about him in Lady Whistledown’s weekly newsletters. And yet she remembered more about him than the regular attendees of society functions.  

I believe this to be the reason why I loved their relationship the most. Benedict and Sophie were very insightful. They paid attention to every detail and peered deeper into souls than others would. 

And I will never grow tired of hearing “I burn for your” in this entire series if the author, Julia Quinn, shall wish to be repetitive. There is something about that simple phrase that ignites the characters inside but mine as well. I always melt away before the book is over, gone. I cease to exist as the book comes to an end.

If you are as daring as me, then I do suggest picking up this lengthy series. It is not a regret, simply a long journey. 

 

As always, I do recommend forming your own opinion, so there is a direct link to the book up above. And I always welcome feedback on my own critique as I’m not always right.









 





 

Comments

Popular Posts